- Time Full day
- Tour Type Hike
- Altitude 2745 m.s.n.m.
- Place Cusco
- Difficulty Moderate
Intipunku, also known as the Sun Gate, is a sacred place built by the Incas to worship and express gratitude to the sun god. This tour is designed for those who love hiking and interacting with new cultures, as it is possible to meet local inhabitants along the way. We will cross the Urubamba River, which will give us a wide view of the Ollantaytambo valley, while we will also have the opportunity to admire the Veronica Mountain and the Vilcanota mountain range. This is a moderate and spectacular hike.
- 06:00 am, Pick up at the corresponding hotel.
- We will head to the Ollantaytambo district (about 2 hours).
- 08:00 am Enjoy breakfast in Ollantaytambo.
- 9:00 am Excursion of about 3 hours to Intipunku and Cachicata.
- 12:00 pm Enjoy lunch at Cachicata quarry.
- Return from the excursion (about 2 hours).
- We will descend along the road to the village of Cachicata.
- Return to the city of Cusco.
We will start this incredible excursion by picking you up at your hotel in Cusco at 6:00 am. We will head to Ollantaytambo in our private transportation, which will take approximately 2 hours. In Ollantaytambo we will make a stop to enjoy an energizing breakfast before continuing with the tour.
Around 9:00 a.m., we will begin a challenging but fascinating uphill hike of approximately 2 hours to the CACHICATA quarry. In this place, we will discover the largest quarry that supplied the construction of temples and palaces of the ancient Inca town of Ollantaytambo. We will also be able to observe the tombs or “chullpas” built to house mummies, as well as the ramps used by the Incas to transport the stones. Afterwards, you will have free time to enjoy a box lunch in this beautiful place.
We will continue hiking for about 1 hour until we reach the Sun Gate (Inti Punku), from where you can see the entire Sacred Valley and the imposing Nevado Veronica. This place is considered magical and mystical, so we recommend you make the most of this incredible experience. Finally, we will return to the community of Cachicata in a descent of approximately 2 hours, where our private transportation will be waiting for us to return to Ollantaytambo and then head to the city of Cusco. We will conclude our services by dropping you off at your hotel.
End of services.
- Private transportation.
- Pick up from your hotel.
- Box lunch.
- Specialized guide (bilingual)
- First aid kit.
- Breakfast, lunches, dinners
- Personal expenses
Recommendations – What you need:
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho.
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves
- Comfortable pants
- Sunscreen cream (factor 35 recommended)
- Reusable plastic or metal water container or camel bags.
- Personal medications
SHARED SERVICE TOUR
Intipunku Kachicata Tour
PRICE PER PERSON
Minimum 02 people
What is included in the tour
Frequently Asked Questions from travelers
What is the location of Inti Punku (Gate of the Sun)?
Inti Punku (Gate of the Sun) is located in the Machu Picchu Archaeological Park in Peru.
What is the history of the Intipunku?
Intipunku, also known as Puerta del Sol, is an archaeological site located in the Machu Picchu complex in Peru. It is believed that this place had ceremonial and strategic significance for the Incas. It is thought to have been a gateway to the citadel and a place from which the sunrise could be observed during the winter solstice. The Intipunku has been the subject of study and interest due to its cultural importance and its relationship to Inca architecture.
What are the recommended activities to do at Intipunku?
At Intipunku, visitors can enjoy a variety of activities. Some options include:
- Enjoying the breathtaking panoramic views of the Machu Picchu complex and its natural surroundings.
- Capture spectacular photographs of the landscape and Inca ruins.
- Explore the archaeological site and observe the remains of the ancient Inca civilization.
- Experience the energy and spirituality of the place.
It is important to remember that access to Intipunku is included in the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu and it is recommended to follow the indications and rules established to preserve this valuable historical heritage.
What is the level of difficulty of the Intipunku-Kachicata trek?
The Intipunku-Kachicata trek has a moderate to challenging level of difficulty, with steep terrain and steep climbs. It requires good physical condition, hiking experience and acclimatization to the altitude. It is recommended to carry the proper equipment and follow the guide’s instructions for a safe and satisfactory experience.
What to bring for the Intipunku-Kachicata trek?
For the Intipunku-Kachicata trek, it is recommended to bring the following:
- A sturdy and comfortable backpack to carry your belongings.
- Adequate clothing for hiking, including comfortable pants, long and short-sleeved shirts, waterproof jacket and extra layers to protect you from the cold.
- Sturdy and comfortable hiking shoes, preferably with non-slip soles.
- Hiking socks that absorb moisture and prevent blisters.
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen to protect your skin from ultraviolet rays.
- Reusable water bottle and enough liquid to keep you hydrated during the trek.
- Snacks and energy food to replenish your energy during the trek.
- Trekking poles to help you in difficult terrain.
- A flashlight or headlamp and extra batteries.
- Insect repellent to protect you from possible bites.
- Personal hygiene items and sanitary products.
- A camera or phone to capture the beautiful scenery.
- Cash in case you need to buy additional food or pay fees.
- Remember that it is important to carry only what you need and keep your backpack as light as possible for comfort during the trek.